It’s the most wonderful time of the year and we’re about to bake your holiday a little sweeter! While holiday festivities may look a little different this year, we know that many people …
It’s the most wonderful time of the year and we’re about to bake your holiday a little sweeter! While holiday festivities may look a little different this year, we know that many people still want to deck their halls (and kitchens) with delicious treats and perhaps an ugly Christmas sweater or two (decorated with Sugarfina’s holiday collection, of course!). Instead of visions of sugarplums dancing through our heads, we have visions of these adorable Ugly Sweater Cookies. They are fab-yule-ous and guaranteed to chase the “Bah Humbugs” away with one bite. Don your favorite ugly sweater, roll up those sleeves and let’s get baking!
For the Royal Icing
- 3 egg whites
- 1 pound powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Gel food coloring
Using a hand mixer or stand mixer with paddle attachment, mix together the butter and sugar for about 3 minutes. Add in the eggs and vanilla and beat the mixture for an additional minute, or until light and fluffy. In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder and salt. Gradually add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients. Mix until the dough begins to pull away from the bowl, then place on parchment paper. Knead the dough for a few minutes, then divide into two sections and wrap with more parchment. Let chill for about 30 minutes. Roll out the dough until it is about 1/4” thick. Cut into ugly sweater shapes using a cookie cutter and remove excess dough. Place on a baking sheet and bake for 10-12 minutes at 350ºF. Let cool and decorate with royal icing and Sugarfina candies!
For the Icing: With an electric mixer, beat the egg whites and vanilla until frothy, about 1 minute. Add the powdered sugar in batches until fully combined. Beat the icing on medium speed until shiny and stiff peaks form. Divide icing into separate bowls for different colors – mix with pea-sized amounts of gel food coloring until desired color is achieved. Any icing you aren’t using right away should be covered with plastic wrap or a damp cloth, so it doesn’t dry out (you may need to re-whip the icing to restore its texture). Transfer icing into piping bags.
Let's Get Decorating
Your cookies have cooled for several hours, and you’re armed with icing. Grab some of our most popular holiday treats and let the decorating begin! Pro Tip: Outline the cookie with icing before filling in the rest of the cookie to keep the shape and design clean. Use a toothpick to gently smooth away any air bubbles that form as you ice the cookies.
What would the holidays be without candy? This year, we are rolling out a variety of delicious seasonal flavors in adorable shapes and designs just in time for some cookie-decorating fun. Our Candy Cane Caramels, Spiked Eggnog Bears, Merry Berries, Santa’s Trees and Snowman Gummies are just some of the perfectly festive treats that can take your holiday sweater cookies to the next level!
Some Decorating Ideas to Get You Started…
- Make an adorable Santa sweater with red icing and fluffy white icing as trim. Create buttons out of our Candy Cane Caramels, Polar Snowballs or Merry Berries.
- Make ugly holiday sweaters for the grown-ups with our Spiked Eggnog Bears or Champagne Bears (just perfect for pairing with a cocktail for that holiday Zoom party).
- Create a snowman sweater with white icing, Reindeer Sparkle Pop buttons and Snowman Gummies.
- If you’re feeling extra artsy, create a reindeer face out of icing. Add one of our Merry Berries for the nose and you’ve got yourself a Rudolph sweater!
- Make a festive Christmas tree with green icing and use our Candy Cane Caramels, Merry Berries, Gold Pearls, Polar Snowball and Santa’s Trees as decorative ornaments.
- We might not be hanging mistletoe this year, but we can decorate our cookies with them. Add Polar Snowballs to your green icing leaves to give you something to mistle-toast about!
- Make the Eight Nights of Lights even sweeter. Our sparkly Blueberry Jelly Beans will add that burst of festive color (and flavor!) for a Hanukkah sweater that’s really anything but ugly!
Look, with a name like “ugly Christmas sweaters”, it really gives you license to add whatever holiday candy you love to your sweaters (we aren’t going to judge!).
Sleigh this holiday season with these adorable sugar cookies. If you’re too tempted to eat all of these cookies in one sitting, they also make the perfect gift for your next-door neighbor who has been bringing over sourdough starter this year, the sick friend that you want to “feel batter soon” or the postal worker who’s been bringing your packages without fail this year. Nothing says “thank you” like something sweet.
We are whisking you a sweet and happy holiday! Purchase your favorite Sugarfina treats to decorate your Ugly Sweater Cookies and tag us on your social media so we can check out your delicious creations. Don’t forget: National Ugly Christmas Sweater Day is Friday, December 18th. Take your holiday baking up a notch with Sugarfina’s festive candies!